Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paramus in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

One-Room Schoolhouse

Built 1876

 
 
One-Room Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 13, 2008
1. One-Room Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription.  
This sturdy old frame building is a landmark in the community, having served Paramus residents in various ways. Originally School No. 26 of Midland Township, it was converted into a borough hall when Paramus Borough was formed in 1922. In 1959 it became the main quarters of the Paramus Free Public Library 83 years after it had been erected.
Sponsored by
Woman’s Club of Paramus

 
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 39.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkEducation. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
 
Location. 40° 57.624′ N, 74° 5.395′ W. Marker is in Paramus, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on W. Midland Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 239 W Midland Avenue, Paramus NJ 07652, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. Rutan-Terhune-Bidwell House (approx. ¼ mile away); Jacob J. Zabriskie House (approx. half a mile away); Stephen T. Zabriskie House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Van Dien House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dunkerhook Road (approx. 0.9 miles away); Naugle House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hopper Homestead (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hopper House (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paramus.
 
Also see . . .  Bergen County Historical Society. Society website entry (Submitted on June 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Marker on Midland Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 13, 2008
2. Marker on Midland Avenue
Former One-Room Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 13, 2008
3. Former One-Room Schoolhouse
Paramus Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 13, 2008
4. Paramus Library
This building is now home of the Charles E. Reid Branch Library in Paramus.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,970 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8333

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024