Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Columbia in Adair County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Adair County Courthouse

 
 
Adair County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 8, 2015
1. Adair County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  On June 28, 1802, court ordered permanent seat of justice on the public square. First courthouse built in 1806. Present structure was designed by McDonald Bros., Louisville, and built by Wm. H. Hudson and Columbus Stone in 1887. A unique architectural feature is the carving of faces on the south columns. Listed on National Register of Historic Places, 1974.
 
Erected 1977 by the Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1599.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsLandmarks. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 37° 6.161′ N, 85° 18.359′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Kentucky, in Adair County. Marker is at the intersection of Public Square and Jamestown Road (Kentucky Route 80), on the left when traveling north on Public Square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 Public Square, Columbia KY 42728, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Frank L. Wolford (here, next to this marker); Confederate Raids
Adair County Courthouse (Marker on left side, under tree) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 8, 2015
2. Adair County Courthouse (Marker on left side, under tree)
(a few steps from this marker); Adair County Revolutionary War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Jane Lampton Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Lane Wolford (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia-Union Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daniel Trabue (1760-1840) (approx. ¼ mile away); Male and Female School Site / Student Parking in the 1850s (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
Also see . . .  Adair County web site. (Submitted on May 18, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Rear view of Adair County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 8, 2015
3. Rear view of Adair County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 24, 2020