Kingston in Frontenac County, Ontario — Central Canada ()
Kingston Navy Yard
The Navy Yard established in 1789 as a trans-shipment point for the Great Lakes and as the Provincial Marine's Lake Ontario base was administered by the Admiralty after 1813. During the War of 1812 Commodore James Yeo, R. N., commanded a considerable squadron built in these yards, including the 112-gun ST. LAWRENCE. This base posed a constant threat to the Americans, who never felt strong enough to risk a direct attack. The Rush-Bagot agreement of 1817, which limited armaments on the lakes, brought about a decline in activity, and by mid-century the yards were closed.
L'arsenal de la marine, construit ici en 1789 par la Provincial Marine et administré par l'Amirauté à compter de mars 1813, était le port de transbordement des Grands Lacs. Le commodore James Yeo y commanda durant la guerre de 1812 une flotte considérable construite ici, dont le plus imposant navire fut le ST. LAWRENCE. Les Américains, pour des raisons stratégiques, voulaient s'emparer de l'arsenal mais ne passèrent jamais à l'action. Le désarmement naval convenu lors de l'accord Rush-Bagot (1817) immobilisa l'activité à l'arsenal.
Erected 1935 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 44° 13.778′ N, 76° 28′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Ontario, in Frontenac County. Marker is on Point Frederick Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 Point Frederick Drive, Kingston, Ontario K7K 7B4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Stone Frigate (within shouting distance of this marker); Strategic Importance / Importance Stratégique (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Sir James Lucas Yeo (about 240 meters away); Point Frederick Buildings (about 240 meters away); Commodore’s Residence, 1815 (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Point Frederick (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Fort Frederick (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Point Frederick Artillery Battery (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
More about this marker. This marker is on the grounds of the Royal Military College of Canada in front of the Stone Frigate and east of Parade Square.
Also see . . . Kingston Royal Naval Dockyard - Wikipedia. Kingston Royal Naval Dockyard was the only Royal (Submitted on May 22, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
More. Search the internet for Kingston Navy Yard.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 262 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 22, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.