Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bath in Lennox and Addington County, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Early Latter-day Saints in Upper Canada

 
 
Early Latter-day Saints in Upper Canada Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 8, 2014
1. Early Latter-day Saints in Upper Canada Marker
Inscription.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in 1830 in Fayette, New York. Its unique message was that the original gospel of Jesus Christ had been restored through a modern prophet, Joseph Smith. The Church became known as the Mormon Church because of its belief in the Book of Mormon, a book of scripture which was translated from gold plates by Joseph Smith. The Book of Mormon provides another testimony of Jesus Christ and is used by Church members as a companion to the Bible. The new religion grew rapidly in the northeastern United States, and missionaries soon began teaching in others areas as well.

In June 1832 six Latter-day Saint missionaries entered Canada, preaching in Ernestown and Loughborough Townships. This group of missionaries included Phineas and Joseph Young, Eleazer Miller, Elial Strong, Enos Curtis, and a sixth man whose name is not known. During their six weeks of preaching they converted several families and formed, in Ernestown Township, the first branch of the Church outside the United States.
Other Latter-day Saint missionaries followed, and branches of the Church were soon organized in
Early Latter-day Saints in Upper Canada Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 8, 2014
2. Early Latter-day Saints in Upper Canada Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Sydenham and surrounding area. The Prophet Joseph Smith, first President of the Church, visited areas in Ontario to preach the gospel in 1833 and visited Canada again in 1837. Another missionary was Brigham Young, brother of Joseph and Phineas, who became the second President of the Church after the death of Joseph Smith. In July 1833 Young led a group of converts from Ernestown and Loughborough Townships to join the Saints in Kirtland, Ohio, headquarters of the Church at the time. He later led the Mormon pioneers exodus to Utah.

During the 1830s and 1840s many more missionaries came to Ontario. One who had outstanding success was John E. Page, who preached in various communities along the Rideau Canal and converted over 600 people between 1836 and 1838. Among those who heard Page preach was Ira Nathaniel Hinckley, whose grandson, Gordon B. Hinckley, later became the fifteenth President of the Church

The new faith was embraced by hundreds of Canadians in Lennox and Addington, Frontenac, Leeds and Grenville, and Lanark Counties as well as in the Toronto and Brantford areas. Many of these early converts left Canada to join the main body of the Church in the United States, but in the twentieth century, strong permanent congregations have become established here.
 
Erected 1997 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Saints.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1832.
 
Location. 44° 10.23′ N, 76° 47.425′ W. Marker is in Bath, Ontario, in Lennox and Addington County. Marker can be reached from Loyalist Parkway (Provincial Highway 33), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 697 Loyalist Parkway, Bath ON K0H 1G0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Steamship on Lake Ontario (a few steps from this marker); Escape of the Royal George 1812 (approx. 5.9 kilometers away).
 
More about this marker. This marker is located in a small lakeside park, southwest of the town of Bath, in the township of Loyalist.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=83646

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2022