Ninety Six in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ninety Six Colored School
The Ninety Six Colored School, built nearby between 1927 and 1953, was a combined elementary and high school through the 1951-52 school year and an elementary school through the 1955-56 school year. It was a six-room frame building, with a small frame lunchroom nearby. Six to eight teachers taught grades 1-7 and 8-11 until grade 12 was added in 1947-48. The school closed in 1956.
Rev. Elliott F. Johnson, the first principal here, was succeeded by Rev. W.T. Boggs in 1943. Ninety Six Colored School averaged about 200 elementary and about 60 high school students for most of its history. After county districts consolidated in 1951, its high school students went to Brewer High School until a new Edgefield School for elementary and high school students opened in 1956.
Erected 2014 by Historic 96 Development Association in Memory of Charles Harts. (Marker Number 24-21.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education.
Location. 34° 10.583′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ninety Six SC 29666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. M-60 A3 Main Battle Tank (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Ninety Six (approx. half a mile away); The Patriots Lay Siege to the Star Fort (approx. 2 miles away); Patriot Soldier (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named The Patriots Lay Siege to the Star Fort (approx. 2 miles away); The Patriot Force Arrives (approx. 2 miles away); The British Fortifications (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ninety Six.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on May 31, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 31, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.