Tarrant in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Tarrant City Hall
Originally the Main Office for National Cast Iron Pipe Company
A pipe foundry was established in 1912 by the following founders, A. H. Ford, F. M. Jackson, E. E. Linthicum, Charles Green and Charles Day. Originally the main office was located approximately 100 yards west of this building. The company prospered from the beginning and in a short time employed several hundred people. The company’s growth mandated the need for a new and larger facility. In 1928, construction began on this building which was to house the general manager, accounting, sales and engineering departments. In 1938, James B. Clow and Sons, a Chicago-based company that also manufactured cast iron pipe and fittings for the water works industry, bought National Cast Iron Pipe Company and the local company became known as James B. Clow and Sons, National Division. In 1961, the Board of Directors elected to change the corporate name to Clow Corporation but this plant was still known as Clow Corporation, National Division.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
In 1965, the single story Engineering Annex was added and provided offices for the general manager and
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Tarrant.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings.
Location. 33° 35.067′ N, 86° 46.391′ W. Marker is in Tarrant, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Pinson Valley ParkwayTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1604 Pinson Valley Pkwy, Birmingham AL 35217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of the 117th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1963 Church Bombing Victims (approx. 2.4 miles away); CDR "Snuffy" Smith (approx. 2½ miles away); Forrest Camp No. 1435 (approx. 2.6 miles away); United Confederate Veterans (approx. 2.6 miles away); Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); East Birmingham (approx. 2.9 miles away); Zion Memorial Gardens (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Also see . . . City of Tarrant Website. (Submitted on November 8, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on May 31, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 8, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.