Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Karsner-Kennedy House is significant because of its architectural characteristics. Benjamin F. Karsner (1800-1897) of Maryland married Sarah McCarter of Virginia in 1827. He was a prominent figure in Florence and at times he was a Justice of the Peace, Tax Assessor, and Commission Merchant. The Karsner home was constructed from 1828 to 1831. The two-story Federal Style cottage, uncommon to this area, was situated on Lot No. 7 according to the original plat of Florence as drawn by the Cypress Land Company. The house had 13-inch brick load-bearing exterior walls, broad pine plank floors and wood ceiling and roof framing. The main chimney was an integral part of the wall and not projected on the exterior. Other structures at the site included a smokehouse, root cellar, and cistern. The Karsner House was remodeled several times before complete restoration to its original style in the early 1970s. In all modifications, the original structure of brick and wood remained basically unchanged.
After Mr. Karsner's death in 1868, Mrs. Karsner remained in the house until her death in 1880. The Karsner family sold the
Throughout its long history, the Karsner-Kennedy House has stood as one of the finest examples of Federal Style domestic architecture in the Tennessee Valley. In 1971, it became the second local entry, after Wilson Dam, and the 17th Alabama entry to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings
Location. 34° 48.093′ N, 87° 40.722′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is on North Pine Street south of West Tuscaloosa Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 N Pine Street, Florence AL 35630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church 1894 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southall Drugs (about 600 feet away); Sannoner Historic District Medical Arts Building (about 700 feet away); Colonel Pickett Place (about 700 feet away); City of Florence (about 700 feet away); Dred Scott (about 800 feet away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wheeler Rifles (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2014, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 501 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on June 2, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 26, 2014, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.