Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (South Central)
Wood Avenue Church of Christ
The move was made to the southwest corner of Poplar and Tombigbee Streets in September 1890. That building remained the church's home until March 1, 1970 when it moved to the northeast corner of Wood Avenue and Tuscaloosa Street.
The oldest of all in-city Churches of Christ, Wood avenue has played a significant role in the expansion of the Church of Christ throughout many parts of the world.
Location. 34° 48.247′ N, 87° 40.491′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Tuscaloosa St. and Wood Ave. on Tuscaloosa St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wood Avenue Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Woodrow Wilson Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Sculpture Relief Books and Learning Walnut Street Historic District (about 400 feet away); Florence Synodical Female College (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church 1888 (about 400 feet away); Regions Bank (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Wood Avenue Church of Christ.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 988 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on June 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Alabama, USA. 3. submitted on March 22, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.