East Brewton in Escambia County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
East Brewton, 1906-1943
Dr. J. M. Shofner (1863-1926) founder,
dedicated his life to -
"Give the boys and girls a chance."
Mr. Elisha Downing - Humanitarian.
First building erected named in
honor of Mrs. Esther Downing.
Trustees-1906: J. M. Shofner,
D. Gillis, J. E. Finley, W. W. Hinote,
J. M. Davidson, J. F. Jones, James K. Kyser.
Erected 1975 by the Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 31° 6.006′ N, 87° 3.346′ W. Marker is in East Brewton, Alabama, in Escambia County. Marker is at the intersection of Shoffner Street (County Road 22) and Snowden Street, on the right when traveling west on Shoffner Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Shoffner Street, Brewton AL 36426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Crawford (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Second Saint Siloam Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hart StationThe Robbins & McGowin Building (approx. one mile away); Bank of Brewton (approx. one mile away); Escambia County Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Ritz Theatre (approx. one mile away); The Leigh Place (approx. 1.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 14, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.