Williamston in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Williamston Female College
This college was founded Feb. 12, 1872, by the Reverend Samuel Lander, D.D., Methodist minister. On this site stood the college building until 1939. The school was removed to Greenwood, S.C., Sept. 27, 1904, becoming Lander College, in honor of the founder, who died July 14, 1904. From an humble beginning there arose here a Christian institution of expanding influence, keeping faith with its motto: Puritas et Scientia.
Erected 1942 by Alumnae Association of Lander College. (Marker Number 4-16.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1899.
Location. 34° 37.107′ N, 82° 28.713′ W. Marker is in Williamston, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 20) 0 miles east of Minor Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in front of the Williamston Municipal Complex. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamston SC 29697, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Williamston 9-11 Monument (a few steps from this marker); Gist Rifles Monument Williamston Municipal Center (within shouting distance of this marker); West Allen Williams Memorial Gravesite (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Skirmish (within shouting distance of this marker); West Allen Williams (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Williamston (about 600 feet away); Big Creek Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Pelzer Schools (approx. 1.9 miles away); Pelzer Presbyterian Church (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamston.
Regarding Williamston Female College. The Lander motto, Puritas et Scientia, means "Purity and Knowledge."
Also see . . .
1. Landner University. Lander College became part of South Carolina’s higher education system in 1973. (Submitted on June 20, 2008.)
2. Lander College, Old Main Building. The Old Main Building of Lander College is a large masonry building, composed of three distinct (Submitted on January 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Dr. Samuel Lander
President of Williamston Female college. Was born in Lincolnton, North Carolina, January 30, 1833. graduated from Randolph-Macon College, Virginia, in 1852. The following year, he married Miss Laura Ann McPherson of Lincolnton, North Carolina. His whole like has been devoted to teaching, having taught in Catawba College, Olin Institute, Randolph-Macon College, Greensboro Female College. Principal of High Point Female School, Lincolnton Female School. President of Davenport Female College, Spartanburg Female College, and, since 1871, had held the presidency of Williamston Female College. The degree of D.D. was conferred by Trinity College, North Carolina. Joined South Carolina Conference, in 1844, and has been elected to General Conference twice. (Source: Men of the Time by J.C. Garlington (1902), pg 252.)
— Submitted May 24, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,699 times since then and 174 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. Photos: 1. submitted on June 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2. submitted on January 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on June 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.