Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint Andrews, Manitoba — Canada’s Prairie Region (North America)
 

St. Andrews Anglican Church

 
 
St. Andrew's Anglican Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
1. St. Andrew's Anglican Church Marker
Inscription.  Beginning in 1828 the Rev. W. Cockran held religious services in the homes of settlers in this area. In 1829 he established a permanent residence at Grand Rapids on the Red River and by 1831 had built a small wooden church. His growing congregation required a larger church building and the present stone church , the oldest in Western Canada, was begun in 1845 and completed in 1849. This simple but beautiful building became the center of missionary activity in Rupert's Land and continues to be the focus of active parish life.

L’Église Anglicane de St. Andrew.
Dès 1828, le Révérend W. Cockran afficiait dans les maisons de pionniers de cette région. Il s’établit à demeure en 1829 à Grand Rapids sur la rivière Rouge et il y construisit, dès 1831, une chapelle en bois. Le nombre croissant de ses ouailles nécessita la construction de cette église de pierre, la plus ancienne de l’Ouest canadien. Commencée en 1845, elle fut terminée en 1849. De conception simple, mais explessive, elle devint le centre de l’activité missionnaire de la Terre de Rupert et continue d’étre le foyer de la vie paroissiale.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1974 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
 
Location. 50° 3.982′ N, 96° 58.605′ W. Marker is in Saint Andrews, Manitoba. Marker is at the intersection of River Road (Provincial Highway 238) and St. Andrews Road (Provincial Highway 410), on the left when traveling north on River Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3 St Andrews Rd, Saint Andrews MB R1A 2Y4, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Andrew’s Rectory (within shouting distance of this marker); Twin Oaks (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); St. Andrews Caméré Curtain Dam (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); Nicolaus Copernicus / Mikołaj Kopernik (approx. 21.8 kilometers away); Commemorating Manitoba Theatre Centre's 50th Anniversary (approx. 21.9 kilometers away); St. Boniface / Saint-Boniface (approx. 21.9 kilometers away); First Salvation Army Meeting West of the Great Lakes (approx. 21.9 kilometers away); The Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre (approx. 21.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Andrews.
 
Front door of church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
2. Front door of church
Marker in front of St. Andrew's Anglican Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
3. Marker in front of St. Andrew's Anglican Church
St. Andrew's Anglican Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
4. St. Andrew's Anglican Church
Church and gravestones image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
5. Church and gravestones
Red River beyond church wall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
6. Red River beyond church wall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,438 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 20, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8445

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024