Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lewis College of Business

 
 
Lewis College of Business Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., June 3, 2015
1. Lewis College of Business Marker
Inscription.  This Colonial Revival structure was built in 1910 for James F. Murphy, Treasurer of the Murphy Chair Company and a future director of the Murphy-Potter Company. In 1941 it became the office of the Lewis College of Business. Violet T. Lewis had established the college in Indianapolis in 1929 to train black women for business careers. Ten years later the Detroit Chamber of Commerce invited her to open a school here. The college was located at this site from 1941 to 1976, when its expansion required more spacious quarters. In its first fifty years, it educated over 20,000 students. The United States Department of Education designated the Lewis College of Business a "Historically Black College" in 1987. It was the first college in the state to receive this designation.
 
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1565.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. In addition, it is included in
Former Site of Lewis College of Business image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., June 3, 2015
2. Former Site of Lewis College of Business
Click or scan to see
this page online
the Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and the Michigan Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
 
Location. 42° 21.713′ N, 83° 3.884′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of John R Street and East Ferry Street when traveling south on John R Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5450 John R Street, Detroit MI 48202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Omega Psi Phi (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Lang Freer House / Merrill-Palmer Institute (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); International Institute Of Detroit / International Institute Of Metropolitan Detroit (about 300 feet away); Robert Pauli Scherer (about 500 feet away); Detroit Association of Women's Clubs (about 600 feet away); Scarab Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); United Sound Systems Recording Studios (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 391 times since then and 111 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=84637

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 9, 2022