Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Detroit Association of Women's Clubs
The Detroit Association of Colored Women's Clubs was organized on April 8, 1921, with eight clubs. This association reached its peak membership in 1945 with 73 clubs and 3,000 members. Affiliated with the Michigan and National Associations of Colored Women's Clubs, the Detroit association fosters educational, philanthropic and social programs. The association was incorporated in 1941. That same year, supported by a mortgage on its president's home, the association purchased its present clubhouse, a handsome Colonial Revival style structure. The club members completely paid for the clubhouse in less than five years. The association sponsors girls' clubs, scholarships, annual clothing drives for needy school children and charitable programs for seniors and the dispossessed. Its motto is "Lifting As We Climb."
Erected 1986. (Marker Number L1207.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Women. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1910.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5461 Brush Street, Detroit MI 48202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Omega Psi Phi (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lewis College of Business (about 600 feet away); International Institute Of Detroit / International Institute Of Metropolitan Detroit (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles Lang Freer House / Merrill-Palmer Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Pauli Scherer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scarab Club (approx. ¼ mile away); Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Studebaker in Detroit (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
Also see . . . Detroit Association of Colored Women’s Clubs. National Park Service website entry (Submitted on June 5, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 2. submitted on October 24, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. 3. submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.