Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Godley in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Godley

 
 
First Baptist Church of Godley Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, June 12, 2015
1. First Baptist Church of Godley Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  Originally known as Bethany Baptist Church, this congregation was organized in the spring of 1878 at the home of J.P. Vickers, about four miles from what is now the town of Godley. In 1880, during the pastorate of the Rev. S.E. Brook, the new church was accepted into the Alvarado Baptist Association. Worship services were held the first Sunday and every third Saturday and Sunday of the month. In 1899 the congregation moved into the town of Godley and adopted the name Godley Baptist Church. The fellowship became known as First Baptist Church in 1974.
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1633.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
 
Location. 32° 26.939′ N, 97° 31.592′ W. Marker is in Godley, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Allen Avenue and North Main Street (County Route 917), on the right when traveling east on East Allen Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 E Allen Ave, Godley TX 76044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker,
First Baptist Church of Godley Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye
2. First Baptist Church of Godley Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
measured as the crow flies. Godley School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bruce-Davis House (approx. 7.6 miles away); Cresson School (approx. 7.9 miles away); Grave of Elizabeth Crockett (approx. 9.2 miles away); Acton Cemetery (approx. 9.3 miles away); Former Acton Masonic Lodge Hall (approx. 9.3 miles away); Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association (approx. 9.6 miles away); The Texas World War II Home Front (approx. 10.2 miles away).
 
First Baptist Church of Godley and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, June 12, 2015
3. First Baptist Church of Godley and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 30, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas.   2. submitted on December 16, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas.   3. submitted on June 30, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=84828

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jan. 27, 2023