Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Farmington in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

City of Farmington

Original Historic District (designated by broken line) Settled 1824

 
 
City of Farmington Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., July 4, 2015
1. City of Farmington Marker
Inscription.  
Buildings and sites of historic interest
1. First Post Office, 1825 (23925 Farmington Road)
2. Approximate site of first school, 1826
3. Site of first saw mill, 1826
4. Oldest frame house in Farmington, 1824
5. Site of first tavern, 1834
6. Quaker meeting house, 1832 (highly altered)
7. Masonic Temple-Old Town Hall, 1876 (Farmington Road and Grand River Avenue)
8. Quaker Cemetery, 1832
9. Oakwood Cemetery, 1825
10. Site of first Methodist church building (oldest continuing Methodist congregation in Michigan)
11. Original village center, 1824

 
Erected 1979 by Farmington Historical Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionCommunicationsEducationFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
 
Location. 42° 27.957′ 
City of Farmington Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., July 4, 2015
2. City of Farmington Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 83° 22.744′ W. Marker is in Farmington, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of Grand River Avenue and Oakland Street, on the left when traveling west on Grand River Avenue. This marker is in Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmington MI 48335, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Quaker Meeting (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Farmington Masonic Temple and Farmington Township Hall (about 700 feet away); Farmington's First Post Office (about 700 feet away); Gov. Fred M. Warner (about 700 feet away); Heeney-Sundquist Funeral Home, Inc. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Village Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); Travel Through Time (approx. Ό mile away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=85016

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jan. 30, 2023