Fairfield in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Manahan House
Started 1855 by Dr. W. D. Strain, who died Feb. 16, 1856. Widow had his funeral held here, completed house and occupied it, later sold to R. M. Edwards. In 1912 it was purchased by Mrs. A. C. Manahan, whose heirs still preserve it.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9892.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 31° 43.367′ N, 96° 9.559′ W. Marker is in Fairfield, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is at the intersection of Reunion Street and Keechi Street, on the right when traveling east on Reunion Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairfield TX 75840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Fridolin (Fred) Fischer Home (about 700 feet away, measured Val Verde Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain L.D. Bradley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Freestone County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Law Office General John Gregg (approx. ¼ mile away); Butler Church Bell (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Freestone Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Lewis Corner (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.