Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Opelousas in St. Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Opelousas Catholic School

 
 
Opelousas Catholic School Marker image. Click for full size.
August 2, 2012
1. Opelousas Catholic School Marker
Inscription.  St. Mary's Academy, founded by Fr. Raymond for boys, 1855, combined with Academy of the Immaculate Conception for girls opened by the Marianite Sisters of the Holy Cross in 1856. St. Joseph's School, 1874, renamed Holy Ghost, was founded by the Sisters of the Holy Family. In 1971, the schools merged to form Opelousas Catholic, the oldest teaching institution in Opelousas.
 
Erected by 1992-93 O.S.C. Senate; John N. Harper, project consultant.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation.
 
Location. 30° 32.613′ N, 92° 4.615′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in St. Landry Parish. Marker is on East Prudhomme Street east of Viking Lane, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 428 E Prudhomme St, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Landry Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Landry Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named St. Landry Catholic Church (approx. 0.2
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
miles away); Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur (approx. 0.2 miles away); Black Academy At Mt. Olive Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Louisiana Memorial Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Louisiana Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bloch Corner (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2015. This page has been viewed 271 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on July 9, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 24, 2021