Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Batesville in Panola County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

St. Stephens Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Stephens Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Phillip Knecht, July 10, 2015
1. St. Stephens Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1895 by Andrew Johnson, St. Stephens was used as a church until the late 1930s and was deconsecrated after 1940. Since then, the building has housed the American Legion Post #118, the city library, and a voting precinct and served as a meeting place for the Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, and other civic clubs. While the American Legion post was housed in the church, the furniture was handmade by German prisoners of war held at Como, Mississippi, during World War II.
 
Erected 2013 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWar, World II. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
 
Location. 34° 19.056′ N, 89° 57.232′ W. Marker is in Batesville, Mississippi, in Panola County. Marker is at the intersection of Panola Avenue and Lester Street, on the left when traveling north on Panola Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Batesville MS 38606, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Batesville (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. King Visits Batesville (approx. half a mile away); Bates House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Batesville Magnolia Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Batesville Mounds (approx. 2.6 miles away); Dr. Lynda Ruth Campbell (approx. 5.8 miles away); Macedonia Rosenwald School (approx. 5.8 miles away); Walton Chapel Vocational High School (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Batesville.
 
St. Stephens Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Phillip Knecht, July 10, 2015
2. St. Stephens Episcopal Church Marker
St. Stephens Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Phillip Knecht, July 10, 2015
3. St. Stephens Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2015, by Phillip Knecht of Holly Springs, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2015, by Phillip Knecht of Holly Springs, Mississippi. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=85268

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024