Fort William and Mary Commemoration Marker
In Admiration of the gallantry of Capt. John Langdon and Maj. John Sullivan Leaders of the assaults.
In memory of the patriots who captured the fort and removed the guns and stores.
Erected 1902 by Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Hampshire.
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1774.
Location. 43° 4.277′ N, 70° 42.597′ W. Marker is in New Castle, New Hampshire, in Rockingham County. Memorial can be reached from Wentworth Road. Located at Fort Constitution Park, on an active Coast Guard Base. Open houses are held on Sundays from 1-5. To access the fort, you must follow the blue line on the pavement, as shown in the aerial view. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 Wentworth Rd, New Castle NH 03854, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Portcullis (here, next to this marker); Mines Building (about 300 feet away,
More about this marker. There is also a lighthouse next to the fort, which you may tour as well. $4.00 fee It is known as the Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Fort William and Mary. In its history, the fort has had several names originally it was Fort William and Mary. In 1808, it was renamed Fort Constitution. (Submitted on December 21, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 284 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 3. submitted on July 12, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 4, 5. submitted on July 12, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.