Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Public Inn

 
 
The Public Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, June 5, 2010
1. The Public Inn Marker
Inscription.  Constructed circa 1818 by John Adams at the NE corner of Madison St. and Williams Ave. Operated as an inn and boarding house by William E. Phillips from 1819-21; believed to have housed some delegates to the nearby Alabama Constitutional Convention in 1819. Original structure probably enlarged by an 1832 addition. The Inn was rolled on logs to this site in 1926, and an addition was built on the rear in 1927. One of the few surviving Federal-period frame structures in Huntsville.

National Register of Historic Places ~1980
 
Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 34° 43.717′ N, 86° 34.95′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Williams Avenue SE east of Franklin Street SE. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Twickenham Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Howard Weeden Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Where Alabama Entered the Union
The Public Inn image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, June 5, 2010
2. The Public Inn
(about 500 feet away); Alabama’s Constitution And Statehood (about 500 feet away); Constitution Hall (about 500 feet away); Site - Alabama’s First Constitutional Convention (about 500 feet away); Bessie (about 500 feet away); Helion Lodge No. 1 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
 
More about this marker. Former site of the building at Madison and Williams is now occupied by the EarlyWorks Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 1,008 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on July 17, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 20, 2020