Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greensburg in St. Helena Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Greensburg Land Office

 
 
Greensburg Land Office Marker image. Click for full size.
February 25, 2012
1. Greensburg Land Office Marker
Inscription.  Served as the clearing for house all public lands between the Mississippi and Pearl Rivers, north of the lakes to the 31st parallel. This area is still known as the Greensburg Land District. It is the only extant land office building in Louisiana and significant in the area of architecture as an example of a rural building in the Greek Revival style. Built ca 1820.
 
Erected by St. Helena Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
 
Location. 30° 49.735′ N, 90° 40.027′ W. Marker is in Greensburg, Louisiana, in St. Helena Parish. Marker can be reached from State Highway 43, 0.1 miles south of Route 10, on the left when traveling north. Between S. Main Street and Hwy. 10. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greensburg LA 70441, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greater Greensburg Veteran's War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Revolutionary War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); William Kendrick Square (within shouting
Greensburg Land Office image. Click for full size.
February 25, 2012
2. Greensburg Land Office
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker); Republic of West Florida (approx. 2.1 miles away); Springfield - Liberty Road (approx. 7.1 miles away); Tangipahoa (approx. 9.7 miles away); Camp Moore (approx. 10 miles away); Camp Moore #1 (approx. 10 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensburg.
 
More about this marker. Located in front of the St. Helena Parish Courthouse. Marker is to the right of the courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2015. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=85641

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 13, 2022