Woodland in Yolo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Woodland's First Post Office
Freeman ran a dry goods business here with C.H. Gray that grew to include hardware and the adjoining building at 537 Main Street by 1868. Since then many businesses have located here including Ruggles & Machefert Merchants (1868), H.B. Wood Hardware (1870), R.B. Cranston Hardware (1898), J.T. Grant, Dentist (1905), Strand Theater (1914), Public Market (1925), Piggly Wiggly (1926), E.L. Thompson Tires (1933), Sprouse Reitz (1935), Dee's Dep't Store (1968), Owen's Dep't Store (1969) and Diamond E Western Store (1970).
Dedicated May 1, 2015
Native Sons of the Golden West
Timothy L. Tullius,
and Woodland Parlor No. 30
Erected 2015 by Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number GPY 138-07.)
Topics and series. This historical marker Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West, and the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is May 1, 1956.
Location. 38° 40.656′ N, 121° 46.402′ W. Marker is in Woodland, California, in Yolo County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (California Route 16) and 1st Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 539 Main Street, Woodland CA 95695, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capital Hotel, Est. 1869 (within shouting distance of this marker); Corner Drug Company Building (within shouting distance of this marker); China Town begins (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodland begins (within shouting distance of this marker); Original railroad (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main and Second Street 1920’s (about 300 feet away); Yolo County Savings Bank (about 400 feet away); The Woodland Opera House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 7, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. 3. submitted on July 19, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.