Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Childers Classical Institute

 
 
Childers Classical Institute Marker image. Click for more information.
Photographed By Duane Hall, July 19, 2015
1. Childers Classical Institute Marker
Abilene Christian University History:
University website entry
Click for more information.
Inscription.  
Abilene Christian University began as an educational institution on this block known as the West End residential area. In 1906, Allen Booker Barret, a Tennessee educator and preacher, and five trustees purchased land and a house from Col. John W. Childers. That fall, President Barret, his brother W.S., and Charles H. Roberson opened Childers Classical Institute. The first class comprised 25 students, with 50 enrolling during the school year. In 1920, the institute’s name changed to Abilene Christian College and in 1929, moved to its current site. The college grew slowly at first, but today, thousands of students are enrolled at Abilene Christian University, more than 100 years after its founding.
 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16569.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
 
Location. 32° 27.024′ N, 99° 44.836′ W. Marker is in Abilene, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of N. 1st Street and Graham Street, on the right when
Childers Classical Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, July 19, 2015
2. Childers Classical Institute Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
traveling west on N. 1st Street. Marker is located east of the Global Samaritan Resources building near the flagpole. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2074 N 1st St, Abilene TX 79603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Magee House (approx. ¼ mile away); Hattie and Henry Sayles, Sr., House (approx. half a mile away); Site of Guitar Mansion (approx. half a mile away); Old Weather Bureau Building (approx. half a mile away); Laughter Undertaking Co. (approx. half a mile away); James Harrison Parramore (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Bankhead Highway (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abilene.
 
View to Northwest Across N. 1st Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, July 19, 2015
3. View to Northwest Across N. 1st Street
Marker is located east of the Global Samaritan Resources building near the flagpole
View to East Along N. 1st Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, July 19, 2015
4. View to East Along N. 1st Street
Marker is on the north (left) side of the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 19, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=85792

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022