Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Odessa College
Rev. M. A. Daugherty, Pittsburgh, Pa., was placed in charge, and a 20-acre plot was alloted to the college. Erection of a 2-story building began in 1890. In 1891 classes for 14 students were taught by Miss Alice Wright, of Maine. A "mystery" fire destroyed the college after one session.
This church-sponsored college was never rebuilt. In 1946, the new Odessa College was founded to fulfill aims of leadership in education.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4845.)
Location. 31° 51.997′ N, 102° 22.809′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is at the intersection of Andrews Highway (U.S. 385) and East 25th Street, on the right when traveling south on Andrews Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Odessa TX 79761, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Mrs. John L. Morris (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Henderson House (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Parker Family (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ector County Public Schools (approx. 1.2 miles away); World's First Championship Jackrabbit Roping (approx. 1.2 miles away); W.D. Noel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Tom “Pinkie” Roden (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Jackrabbit (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for Site of Odessa College.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 265 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.