Williamstown in Orange County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Inventor of the electric motor
Born on the West Hill July 9, 1802.
Died at the age of 49, July 6 1851, in Salisbury, VT.
Buried in Brandon.
Near this tablet stood the blacksmith shop where he learned his trade.
He invented and made the first
in Brandon, Vermont in 1834.
He had a "VISION" of the
great future of electricity,
and devoted his life to its development.
Erected 1927 by W.S. Davenport (Thomas Davenport's nephew).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1802.
Location. 44° 7.354′ N, 72° 32.481′ W. Marker is in Williamstown, Vermont, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Vermont Route 14 and Brook Street (Vermont Route 64), on the right when traveling south on State Route 14. Marker is located on the grounds of the Ainsworth Public Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2338 Vermont Route 14, Williamstown VT 05679, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Davenport Birthplace (a few steps from this marker); Town of Williamstown (about 700 In the late 1950s Rock of Ages experimented with making lanes out of granite... (approx. 3.3 miles away); Historic Millstone Hill (approx. 5 miles away); Washington Vermont War Memorial (approx. 5½ miles away); Washington Civil War Memorial (approx. 5½ miles away); Currier Park (approx. 5.6 miles away); First Boy Scout Troop in America (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamstown.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Thomas Davenport. (Submitted on July 24, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.