Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Old Town West in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation

 
 
Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 28, 2008
1. Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation Marker
Inscription.  On this site stood Beth El Hebrew Congregationís synagogue, the first structure built as Jewish house of worship in the Washington metropolitan area. Founded in 1859, Beth El, the first reform Jewish congregation in the Washington area, is northern Virginiaís oldest Jewish congregation. Beth El built the synagogue here in 1871 and worshipped in it until 1954. A new synagogue on Seminary Road, Alexandria, was dedicated in 1957.
 
Erected 1984 by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number E-92.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 38° 48.4′ N, 77° 2.805′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. It is in Old Town West. Marker is on North Washington Street (Virginia Route 400) north of Cameron Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 N Washington St, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker. Confederate Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Lloyd House (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Henry Lee (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of the Honorary Pall-Bearers of General George Washington (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lord Fairfax House (about 300 feet away); Elisha Cullen Dick, M.D. (about 300 feet away); Lodge No. 38, Independent Order of Odd Fellows (about 300 feet away); Alexandria Library Sit-In (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 28, 2008
2. Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,672 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8604

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024