Mobile in Mobile County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Salvation Army in Mobile
Mobile became an official Salvation Army Corps on October 13, 1899, with Captain and Mrs. James T. Cumbie in command. The Army's first Corps Community Center in Mobile was located at 213 Conti Street where it remained from the late 1930s to the late 1960s.
The Salvation Army's fight against human suffering -- started in 1865 in London by General William Booth -- is still helping people to help themselves, though its methods have changed with the times.
Erected 1987 by Commissioner James Osborne, commander of the Army's Southern Territory, Salvation Army.
Location. 30° 41.548′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 182 St Francis Street, Mobile AL 36607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville (here, next to this marker); To Jean Baptiste LeMoyne (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merchants National Bank Building (about 400 feet away); In Memory of the Battle of Mobile Bay (about 400 feet away); Mobile City Limits (about 400 feet away); John Forbes & Co. (about 500 feet away); Saenger Theatre (about 600 feet away); Nicola Marschall Residence (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mobile.
Also see . . . Salvation Army in Mobile area history. (Submitted on July 27, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
More. Search the internet for The Salvation Army in Mobile.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.