Stanton in Martin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The site -- with a water tank, section house, telegraph office - bore name Grelton, but settlers had it changed to Marienfeld, German for "Field of Mary."
County was created 1876 and named for Wylie Martin, senator in Republic of Texas. When the county organized, town became county seat. First commissioners court met here December 13, 1884.
Through Protestant influence, town was renamed Stanton, 1890.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3212.)
Location. 32° 7.875′ N, 101° 47.445′ W. Marker is in Stanton, Texas, in Martin County. Marker is on St Peter Street north of Broadway, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanton TX 79782, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Martin County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Stanton Church of Christ (about 500 feet First United Methodist Church of Stanton (about 800 feet away); Connell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of St. Joseph's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carmelite Monastery (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. E. Millhollon Ranch House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Martin County (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanton.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Marienfeld.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.