Stanton in Martin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of St. Joseph's Church
Sisters of Divine Providence opened a short-lived school, 1887; reopened, 1894, by Sisters of Mercy. In 1897, Carmelite Monks disbanded and sold property to Sisters of Mercy, who operated a convent and academy until abandonment after tornado of June 11, 1938. All that remains are a dormitory, ruins of other buildings, and the cemetery.
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4890.)
Location. 32° 8.005′ N, 101° 47.351′ W. Marker is in Stanton, Texas, in Martin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Carpenter Street and North Convent Street, on the left when traveling east on East Carpenter Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanton TX 79782, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carmelite Monastery (here, next to this marker); Connell House Stanton Church of Christ (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marienfeld (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Stanton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Martin County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. E. Millhollon Ranch House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Martin County (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanton.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Site of St. Joseph's Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 207 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the remaining buildings. • Can you help?