Stanton in Martin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Under the leadership of Anastasius Peters, the Carmelites attracted immigrant farmers to the area, some of whom joined the religious order. In 1884, this building was constructed to serve as the living quarters for the friars; it was expanded in 1886. From here they journeyed all over west Texas and eastern New Mexico, ministering to the Catholic families in communities along the rail lines and starting new Catholic parishes. Their work in Marienfeld had a direct impact on the town's development and on the formal organization of Martin County in 1884.
In 1888, the Marienfeld Carmelites numbered 34, but severe drought during that period resulted in an economic depression that led to faltering support for the friars and the colony. By 1891, only five friars remained, and they left in 1901. In 1897, the Carmelites sold the monastery building to the Sisters
Built of adobe in the Gothic Revival style, the monastery features four-foot thick walls, a stone foundation, Gothic pointed-arch windows and a wrapround porch. It is the only building remaining from the Carmelite occupation of the site.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2000
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12545.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 8.006′ N, 101° 47.35′ W. Marker is in Stanton, Texas, in Martin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Carpenter Street and North Convent Street, on the left when traveling east on East Carpenter Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanton TX 79782, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of St. Joseph's Church (here, next to this marker); Connell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stanton Church of Christ (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marienfeld (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Stanton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Martin County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. E. Millhollon Ranch House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Martin County (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.