St. Albans in Franklin County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
This site, the former Henry Seymour farm, became a Civil War camp named in honor of Vermont’s second Civil War Governor, Frederick Holbrook. Over 1000 men of the 5th Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment camped on this land and were mustered in to Federal service for three years on Sept. 16, 1861. A week later they marched 1½ miles to the St. Albans train station and departed for Washington, D.C. In the late winter and early spring of 1865, Camp Holbrook was again the site of military activity. Two companies of the frontier cavalry recruited immediately after the St. Albans Raid on Oct. 19, 1864 occupied the nearby fields. These soldiers patrolled the borderlands providing security for the citizens of Vermont until midsummer of 1865.
Erected 2010 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 44° 49.799′ N, 73° 4.753′ W. Marker is in St. Albans, Vermont, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Orchard RoadTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 Old Orchard Road, Saint Albans VT 05478, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Albans Raid (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Albans Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); History on the Hill/Leçon d'historie sur la colline (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Albans World War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Franklin County Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Albans War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lucrative Trade to Leisure Vacations/Du commerce lucratif au voyage d'agrément (approx. 3.4 miles away); Consuelo Northrop Bailey (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Albans.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.