Big Spring in Howard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Big Spring Hardware Company
From that time until the present year, 1989, lessees and owners of the property have supplied the people of Big Spring and the surrounding area with hardware and ranch supplies. At different times, dry goods and clothing, furnishing, firearms, and even automobiles were added to the stock and later discontinued.
This structure at 117 Main Street is distinguished as the oldest building in Big Spring continuously offering the same line of merchandise.
Erected by Howard County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 32° 15.225′ N, 101° 28.647′ W. Marker is in Big Spring, Texas, in Howard County. Marker is on South Main Street north of East 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Historical Big Spring Meat Market (a few steps from this marker); The J. & W. Fisher Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seventh Earl of Aylesford (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Settles Hotel (about 700 feet away); Howard County (about 700 feet away); Potton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank in Big Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Thomas Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Spring.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.