Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cardinal in Leeds and Grenville United Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
 

The Founding of Cardinal

 
 
The Founding of Cardinal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin Craft, August 4, 2015
1. The Founding of Cardinal Marker
Inscription.  The grist-mill built at Point Cardinal by Hugh Munro about 1796 fostered the development here of a small settlement. A sawmill and store were later erected, and in 1837 a post-office, "Edwardsburgh", was established. In 1858, attracted by abundant water-power and the operation of the Galops shipping canal (1846) and the Grand Trunk Railway (1855), William T. Benson and Thomas Aspden founded the Canada Starch Works. Its prosperity stimulated the growth of Elgin, as Edwardsburgh was also known, and in 1864 the hamlet, with 300 inhabitants, contained several other prominent businesses, notably the James McLatchie foundry. The community was incorporated as the Village of Cardinal, with a population of 800, by a by-law which became effective in 1880.
 
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1796.
 
Location. 44° 47.344′ N, 75° 22.919′ W. Marker is in Cardinal, Ontario, in Leeds
Wideview of The Founding of Cardinal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin Craft, August 4, 2015
2. Wideview of The Founding of Cardinal Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Grenville United Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Leeds and Grenville 2 (Provincial Highway 2) and Bridge Street, on the right when traveling east on Leeds and Grenville 2. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cardinal ON K0E 1E0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul's Church (approx. 2 kilometers away); Overbrook (approx. 2.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); Fort de Levis (approx. 6.9 kilometers away); Honor Roll World War II (approx. 8.2 kilometers away in the U.S.); Johnstown 1789 (approx. 8.2 kilometers away); Eastern Ontario's First Court House and Gaol (approx. 8.2 kilometers away); Welcome to the Site of The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 11.2 kilometers away); The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 11.2 kilometers away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=86852

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jan. 30, 2023