Grafton in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Chair Factory History
The factory was known by a variety of names during its existence, including the Milwaukee Chair Co. and the Northern Chair Co. By the early 1900s, the plant was turning out more than 40 dozen chairs daily. Several large boarding houses on Falls Road provided living quarters for the workers.
The Great Depression forced the company to discontinue leasing recording studios in New York and Chicago. Instead, it operated its own Grafton studio from 1929 to 1932. Hundreds of Wisconsin and out-of-state musicians recorded here. Among them were blues legends such as Charlie Patton, Skip James, Blind Blake, Son House, Willie Brown,
The last record was made in July 1932 by the Mississippi Sheiks. The building was demolished in 1938.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1932.
Location. 43° 18.573′ N, 87° 57.105′ W. Marker is in Grafton, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Bay Road and Falls Road, on the right when traveling north on Green Bay Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grafton WI 53024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Blues Trail: Paramount Records (a few steps from this marker); Lime Kiln Dam Removal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lime Kiln Dam (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grafton Lime Kilns (approx. 0.3 miles away); Paramount Records Legacy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Welcome to the Grafton Riverwalk (approx. ¾ mile away); Origin of Cedar Creek / Mills on the Creek (approx. 1.9 miles away); The First 100 Years (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2015, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2015, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.