Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oregon City in Clackamas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

McLoughlin House

National Historic Site

 
 
McLoughlin House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 14, 2008
1. McLoughlin House Marker
Inscription.  
In the city he founded, in this house he built, lived Dr. John McLoughlin, 1846-57.

He won enduring fame for his generous and humane aid to early American settlers in the Oregon Country, as Chief Factor and Superintendent of the Hudson’s Bay Company in this territory, 1824-45.

In 1850, Dr. McLoughlin presented this park to Oregon City.

In 1851 he became a citizen of the United States.

His house, which originally stood closer to the river, was removed to this location in 1909.
 
Erected 1950 by National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 45° 21.431′ N, 122° 36.341′ W. Marker is in Oregon City, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is on Center Street near 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 713 Center St, Oregon City OR 97045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Eva Emery Dye (a few steps from this marker); Dr. John McLoughlin (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Forbes Barclay (within shouting distance of this marker); McCald Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); OK Barber Shop (about 700 feet away); Joseph L. Meek (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Larry G. Dahl (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oregon City.
 
Also see . . .
1. The McLoughlin Memorial Association. Website homepage:
The McLoughlin House stands today as a reminder of the great contribution Dr. John McLoughlin made to the settlement of the Oregon Country. (Submitted on July 1, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 

2. Fort Vancouver National Historic Site. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on March 26, 2024, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
McLoughlin House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 14, 2008
2. McLoughlin House and Marker
McLoughlin Grave Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 14, 2008
3. McLoughlin Grave Markers
Marguerite McLoughlin's grave marker is on the left. Dr. John McLoughlin' is on the right.
McLoughlin House Fountain image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 14, 2008
4. McLoughlin House Fountain
McLoughlin House Fountain Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 14, 2008
5. McLoughlin House Fountain Marker
Gift of
Oregon City Woman’s Club
Memorial to Dr. John McLoughlin
Dedicated June 18, 1911
Reconstructed and restored
by
Oregon City Woman’s Club
Re-dedicated June 18, 1978

Recirculation & restoration project provided by Oregon City Woman’s Club, 1994
McLoughlin Conservation District image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 14, 2008
6. McLoughlin Conservation District
In 1844, Dr. John McLoughlin established a claim for himself on land east of Willamette Falls and named it Oregon City. The city was granted a charter on December 24, and became the oldest incorporated city west of the Missouri River.

This district, created in 1982, encompasses all the original 121 blocks of the plat. Many of the homes of these pioneers and civic leaders still stand in the neighborhood.

Old Home Forum
A cannon behind the McLoughlin House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 14, 2008
7. A cannon behind the McLoughlin House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2024. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,824 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 1, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8693

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024