“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)

The Murray Building

Circa 1900

The Murray Building Marker image. Click for full size.
April 1, 2010
1. The Murray Building Marker
Owned by the Fitzhugh Murray family for most of the 20th century, this building was occupied and leased by several buisnesses, including Deblanc and Landry Grocery, Tibby-Rouse Auto Parts, Berard Brothers Towing Company and Nick Fritella's Shoe Shop. In 1952 part of the building became the offices of the Landry, Watkins, Cousin and Landry Law Firm, whose senior partner Jacob S. Landry, with the help and support of his wife, Stephanie, was one of the foremost civic leaders and philanthropists of the community. In 1986 the entire building was acquired and renovated by the successor to that firm and is now owned and occupied by Landry, Watkins, Repaske and Breaux Law Firm.

Donated in loving memory of their parents by the children of
Jaob Segura Landry and Stephanie Durand Landry
Iberia Cultural Resources Association 2008

L’Édificie Murray
circa 1900

Propriété de la Familie Murray Fitzhugh Pendant la plus grande partie du 20ème siècle, l’Édificie Murray fut occupé et loué par plusieurs enterprises don’t l’épicerie Deblanc et Landry, le magasin de piéces automobiles
The Murray Building Marker image. Click for full size.
April 1, 2010
2. The Murray Building Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Tibby Rouse, le garage dés Fréres Berard, et le cordonnier Nick Fritella. En 1952, une partie du bâtiment devint le bureau de la firme d’avocats Landry, Watkins, Cousin and Landry dont le partenaire principal, Jacob S. Landry, aidé par son epouse Stephanie, fut l’un des notables et philanthropes les plus en vue dans la communauté. En 1986, l’edifice entier fut racheté et rénové par la firme d’avocats Landry, Watkins, Repaske and Breaux, qui l’occupe toujours aujourd’hui.

El Edificio Murray
circa 1900
Propiedad de la Familia de Fitzhugh Murray por una gran parte del Siglo 20, este edificio ha sibo ocupado y arrendado por varios negocios, incluyendo el mercado de Deblanc y Landry, el almacén de repuestos de autos de Tibby Rouse, servicio de remolques (grúas) de Berard Brothers, y la zapatería de Nick Fritella. En 1952 parte del edificio se convirtió en las oficinas be abogados de Landry, Watkins, Cousin y Landry. El socio principal, Jacob S. Landry, con la ayuda y apoyo de su esposa, Stephanie, fue unos de los líderes cívicos y filántropos más importantes de la comunidad. En 1986 el edificio entero fue adquirido y renovado por el sucesor a esa empresa y ahora es propiedad y está ocupado por la empresa de Landry, Watkins, Repaske y Breaux.
Erected 2008 by Iberia Cultural Resources Association
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1952.
Location. 30° 0.282′ N, 91° 49.017′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 182) west of North Weeks Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 East Main Street, New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bazus Building (a few steps from this marker); Segura - Labourgeois Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Davis Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dreyfus Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Evangeline Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); The United States Post Office - Circa 1903 (within shouting distance of this marker); James Lee Burke (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William G. "Bunk" Johnson (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
More about this marker. One of twenty-one trilingual historical markers (Spanish, French and English) located throughout New Iberia.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2015. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Mar. 29, 2023