Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Boiling Springs in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church

 
 
Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
1. Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church Marker
(Front)
Inscription.  

This church was organized by Rev. James H. Thornwell on authority from Charleston Presbytery; F.J. and W.A. Hay were its first elders. By 1846 Rev. Samuel H. Hay preached on alternate Sundays here and at a new church in Barnwell; this congregation soon merged with the new one as Barnwell Presbyterian Church.

Reverse:
In 1896 Rev. F.L. Leeper and Dr. W.S.Hay, appointed by the Presbytery, reorganized Boiling Springs as a separate congregation with O.B. Hay and J.M. Gantt as elders and J.C. Fowke as deacon. The present sanctuary was built in 1897 by Hay Gantt and other members; the Sunday School building was built in 1955.
 
Erected 1998 by Barnwell County Museum and Historical Board. (Marker Number 6-9.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
 
Location. 33° 8.099′ N, 81° 25.762′ W. Marker is in Boiling Springs, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on Boiling Springs Rd (State Highway
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
S-6-39) one mile west of State Highway 3, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barnwell SC 29812, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boiling Springs Academy (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tarlton Brown (1757 - 1845) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Winton County Court House Site (approx. 3 miles away); Lower Three Runs Baptist Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Morris Ford Earthworks (approx. 6.8 miles away); Town of Ellenton (approx. 7.3 miles away); Ellenton Agricultural Club (approx. 7.4 miles away); Speedwell Methodist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boiling Springs.
 
Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
2. Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church Marker
(Reverse)
Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
3. Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church and Marker
Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
4. Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,498 times since then and 131 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8715

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024