Ellicott City in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John Williams House
This three-story frame home was built by John Williams, who won the lot in the 1834 land lottery. Later owners included Henry Wooten, a prominent lawyer and Confederate Civil War veteran. The building was remodeled after Hurricane Agnes in the 1970's by Preston Pairo, Jr., who used it for his law offices.
Erected 2015 by Historic Ellicott City, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 39° 16.051′ N, 76° 47.773′ W. Marker is in Ellicott City, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is on Main Street west of Tiber Alley, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8086 Main Street, Ellicott City MD 21043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second Patapsco Bank Building (a few steps from this marker); The Patapsco National Bank (a few steps from this marker); Rosenstock Building (a few steps from this marker); Hunt's General Store & Millinery Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); “Great Panes”Collier's Grist Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lauman House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Odd Fellows Lodge (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellicott City.
Also see . . . John Williams Building. Maryland State Archives Record (Submitted on August 19, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 424 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.