Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Union Engine House
Erected 1997 by The Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1861.
Location. 38° 53.966′ N, 77° 2.597′ W. Marker is in Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 19th Street Northwest and H Street Northwest, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 789 19th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20433, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The IMF (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hurrah! (about 400 feet away); Edward R. Murrow (about 400 feet away); "The Seven Buildings" (about 500 feet away); Union Methodist ChurchNineteenth Street Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); The United Church / Die Vereinigte Kirche (about 600 feet away); "The Bachelor" (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Foggy Bottom.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the inside face of a low retaining wall, and is more easily seen from H St.
Also see . . .
1. DCFD History. ....In 1836 (dates unknown) the Union and Perseverance Fire Companies were organized. The Union was located at 19th & H Streets N.W. until 1862 when they moved to 21st Street & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. The Perseverance was located at 8th & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.... (Submitted on August 22, 2015.)
2. More About the AOI. The AOI presents their history, "...In 1909, the District Commissioners, in recognition of the association's support for the city, passed a resolution allowing AOI to create a permanent meeting place in the old Union Engine Company building at 19th and H streets, N.W. There AOI shared the building with the Veteran Volunteer Fireman's Association, which had been granted use of the building in 1891 and had established a museum of fire fighting equipment and memorabilia. AOI met for the first time at the Union Engine Company on July 11, 1911 and continued (Submitted on August 22, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.