Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milton in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

On This Site Stood the Second Stone House in Milton

 
 
On This Site Stood the Second Stone House in Milton Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, August 22, 2015
1. On This Site Stood the Second Stone House in Milton Plaque
Inscription.  It was built in 1803 by Peter Swartz for Dr. James Dougal, Milton's first permanent physician and the ancestor of a long line of physicians to practice in this community.

It survived the great Milton fire of 1880, and was demolished in 1974. Stones from the structure form the base for this plaque.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1803.
 
Location. 41° 0.981′ N, 76° 51.409′ W. Marker is in Milton, Pennsylvania, in Northumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Front Street and Mahoning Street on S. Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milton PA 17847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rotary Centennial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Rotary Centennial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel J. Shimer & Sons / Milton Manufacturing Co. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Other Industries of Milton (about 500 feet away); Milton Car Works / ACF Industries (about 500 feet

On This Site Stood the Second Stone House in Milton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, August 22, 2015
2. On This Site Stood the Second Stone House in Milton Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Chef Boy-Ar-Dee (about 500 feet away); The Founding of Milton (about 700 feet away); The West Branch of the Pennsylvania Canal System (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
 
On This Site Stood the Second Stone House in Milton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, August 22, 2015
3. On This Site Stood the Second Stone House in Milton Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=87628

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 19, 2022