Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Windsor in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Revolutionary Hut

 
 
Revolutionary Hut Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2008
1. Revolutionary Hut Marker
Inscription.  
This Revolutionary Hut
was given by
Mr. & Mrs. William T. Hand
to the
National Temple Association, Inc.
and re-erected through the generosity of
Mr. William Applebye Robinson
Dedicated October 7, 1934.

 
Erected 1934 by Mr. & Mrs. William T. Hand.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: MilitaryNotable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is October 7, 1934.
 
Location. 41° 28.317′ N, 74° 3.581′ W. Marker is in New Windsor, New York, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from Temple Hill Road (New York State Route 300), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Windsor NY 12553, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Windsor Cantonment (here, next to this marker); Temple Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); The People of the New Windsor Cantonment (within shouting distance of this marker); Unknown Soldier
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Purple Heart Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Publick Building Called the Temple" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Land (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Windsor.
 
Also see . . .  New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site . New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website entry (Submitted on July 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Soldier Hut at New Windsor Cantonment image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2008
2. Soldier Hut at New Windsor Cantonment
The plaque is located on the hut, to the left of the front door.
New Windsor Hut image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2008
3. New Windsor Hut
This hut was one of many that were constructed by the Continental Army during the cantonment of 1782-83. After the War, it was sold and moved elsewhere, where it stood for almost 150 years. It was returned to this site in 1933.
New Windsor Cantonment image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2008
4. New Windsor Cantonment
The Revolutionary Hut is located at the New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,023 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8774

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Nov. 30, 2023