Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic Fire Station No. 4

 
 
Historic Fire Station No. 4 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 28, 2008
1. Historic Fire Station No. 4 Marker
Inscription.  
In 1897, the first city-owned fire station in Ybor City was established on this site, then the heart of the Italian section.

It was a two- story frame building with a bell tower. Equipped with a hose - wagon and a hook and ladder truck, it also housed a blacksmith shop, and served as a hospital for fire horses.

In 1906, it was replaced with a brick building, and was used until 1972. In 1974, the station was designated for a museum, but was destroyed through a bureaucratic blunder.
 
Erected 1990 by The Italian - American Golf Association With The Cooperation of the Tampa Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
 
Location. 27° 57.702′ N, 82° 26.333′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on East 9th Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Located in Ybor City Historic District of Tampa in Centennial Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Ybor Centennial Park (a few steps from this marker); La Joven Francesa Bakery (within shouting distance of this marker); Mayor Nick C. Nuccio (within shouting distance of this marker); Anthony P. "Tony" Pizzo (within shouting distance of this marker); Anthony P. Pizzo (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Fort King Trail (about 300 feet away); L’Unione Italiana (about 500 feet away); Our Lady of Perpetual Help (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Historic Fire Station No. 4 Marker at Centennial Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 28, 2008
2. Historic Fire Station No. 4 Marker at Centennial Park
Here was the Mirta Hook and Ladder Volunteer Fire Station, established in 1888. It was named after the youngest daughter of Don Vicente Martinez Ybor. It was led by Capt. Frank Puglisi.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,141 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8778

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024