Nebraska Statehood Memorial
In 1869 John K. Winchell of Chicago designed masonry homes in Lincoln for each of the Commissioners. These showplaces did much to instill confidence in Lincoln's future. Of these three structures, only the Kennard House stands today. It is apparently the oldest house within the original plat of Lincoln and is one of the finest remaining Nebraska examples of Italianate domestic architecture, the leading American style from about 1855 - 1875, Nebraska's pioneer period.
In 1965 the State Legislature designated the structure the "Nebraska Statehood Memorial" and assigned responsibility for the memorial to the Nebraska State Historical Society. Thus the house stands today, a symbol of the confidence early Nebraskans had in their state.
Erected by Nebraska Centennial
Topics and series. This historical marker memorial is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 29, 1867.
Location. 40° 48.408′ N, 96° 41.848′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, Nebraska, in Lancaster County. Marker is on H Street just east of 16th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln NE 68508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ferguson House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Nebraska Governor's Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); County - City Building (approx. half a mile away); Artesian Well Fountain (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Nebraska State Historical Society (approx. 0.7 miles away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (Old City Hall) (approx. 0.7 miles away); Original Site of St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lincoln's Founding Block (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2015, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 28, 2015, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. 5. submitted on November 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.