Matewan in Mingo County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Matewan and the Railroad
The original Matewan Depot (below) was built in 1893 and served as a combined passenger and freight depot. Large quantities of coal passed through on their way east, and passengers could take the train east toward Bluefield or northwest to Williamson and beyond. The original depot fell into disrepair after the passenger trains stopped in 1969, and was torn down a few years later. The existing depot reconstruction was built in 2002 based on standard N&W plans to the west and across the tracks from the original depot and serves as a museum of the region’s rich heritage.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 37° 37.363′ N, 82° 10.096′ W. Marker is in Matewan, West Virginia, in Mingo County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 1056 and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 1056. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matewan WV 25678, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Matewan Area History (here, next to this marker); Sid Hatfield (a few steps from this marker); Mingo County / State of Kentucky (a few steps from this marker); Matewan MassacreHatfield-McCoy Feud (about 800 feet away); Divided Loyalties (about 800 feet away); M.E. South Church (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Matewan Massacre (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matewan.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 31, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.