Cooper Grant in Camden in Camden County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Cooper Family
Beginning in the 1620s European settlers of Dutch, Swedish and English origin arrived along the Delaware River in the vicinity of present-day Camden, and by the 1670s English Quakers had established permanent homesteads throughout the region. One such Quaker, William Cooper, arrived in America in 1679, first settling in Burlington and moving in 1681, to an area near the mouth of Cooper’s Creek in what is now Camden. William Cooper was a member of the first colonial assembly and was actively involved in the affairs of what was then the province of West New Jersey. By 1689 he had established one of the several other local ferries proved to be essential to the development and expansion of both the city and the surrounding region.
William Cooper’s children and subsequently their children also helped to ensure Camden’s development and growth during the next two centuries. In 1773, William’s great-grandson, Jacob, laid out some of the area’s earliest residential plots on Cooper-owned farmlands, calling the newly established town Camden, and naming the street running along the town’s northern border Cooper Street. Jacob’s nephews,
This light-rail station stop is located within the Cooper Street Historic District, which was historically the city’s most fashionable. Some of the oldest and most architecturally significant residences within the city, dating from the early 1800s and located within Jacob Cooper’s original plan, may be found within the boundaries of this district. The original home of the family founders of the Cooper Hospital was located at nearby 121 Cooper Street and was replaced, during the late 1910s, with the present-day Johnson Library. All of these homes help to illustrate the more than 300-year history
Erected by New Jersey Transit Corporation. (Marker Number 2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1679.
Location. 39° 56.859′ N, 75° 7.459′ W. Marker is in Camden, New Jersey, in Camden County. It is in Cooper Grant. Marker is on Cooper Street. The marker is located at the Cooper Street/Rutgers University rail stop. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 Cooper St, Camden NJ 08102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Edward Sharp House (within shouting distance of this marker); Cooper Street: the Gateway of Southern New Jersey (within shouting distance of this marker); Enslaved Africans Once Sold Here (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The New Jersey Safe Deposit and Trust Company Building (about 500 feet away); Daniel Cooper Ferry Hotel (about 600 feet away); Cooper Street Historic District (about 600 feet away); One John F. Gerry Plaza (about 700 feet away); Jeremy Kane (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,011 times since then and 377 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.