Cedarburg in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The History of the Boerner Building
It was on this site in the 1840s that Christian Boerner opened a general store, selling primarily dry goods. Little could anyone imagine that this store would ultimately become a movie theater so significant to the life and tradition of the community.
In 1849, C. Friedrich Boerner, Christian's cousin, arrived in Cedarburg. During the mid-1860s, Christian traded the building and business for a store in Milwaukee owned by his cousin. When C. Friedrich died in 1878, at the age of 66, his wife, Anna, and sons took over the business, which became known as The Boerner Brothers Company. It was one of the oldest and most successful mercantile establishments in the county. The business thrived for many years serving the Ozaukee and Washington County communities. Two additions provided much needed additional space. However, shortly before WWI, financial problems developed. An infusion of outside capital enabled the business to continue under the name Boerner-Kuether Company until it closed in 1925.
The Birth of the Rivoli
Cedarburg entrepreneur Mark Morgan ultimately purchased the vacant store property and turned it
The Rivoli has operated continuously since that night, becoming part of the Marcus Corporation chain in 1956. After 50 years of Marcus' ownership, the Rivoli was about to close, giving way to multiplex theaters. In an effort to preserve this historic gem, Cedarburg Landmark Preservation Society purchased the building in 2006. Its goal was to replicate the original marquee, restore the building to its 1936 art deco appearance, and to insure that the community continued to have a downtown theater.
The Rivoli is not only an integral part of the Cedarburg historic district, but an example of what community volunteerism can accomplish. It was acquired and built via community donations and volunteerism and continues to be maintained and operated by volunteers. The "Revive the Rivoli" campaign provided the majority of funding for the acquisition and funding of this significant structure.
(Click on marker image to read marker picture captions.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list.
Location. 43° 17.775′ N, 87° 59.254′ W. Marker is in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Center Street, on the right when traveling south on Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: W62 N567 Washington Avenue, Cedarburg WI 53012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cedarburg Cultural Center Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cedarburg Mill (about 400 feet away); Washington Avenue Historic District / Historic District Architecture (about 400 feet away); Origin of Cedar Creek / Mills on the Creek (about 600 feet away); The First 100 Years (about 600 feet away); Interurban Bridge / Riding the Interurban (approx. 0.2 miles away); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Cedarburg (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedarburg.
Also see . . . About the Rivoli. (Submitted on August 14, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2015, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 64 times this year. Last updated on September 12, 2015, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2015, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.