Colchester in Chittenden County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Colchester Log Schoolhouse
Over time the State of Vermont took a more active role in both regulating and promoting education. In 1845 state law mandated that teachers be certified. In 1864, children between the ages of 8 and 14 were required to attend school for at least 3 months and local school taxes were removed creating a free public school system. A textbook law was established in 1894 and ten years later that State set standards for ventilation, sanitation and
Teacher Elsie Gray stands next to the flagpole at School #4, circa 1927. Courtesy of Dawn Hazelett and the Colchester Historical Society
As shown on the map from 1869, a dispersed population required the establishment of fouteen school districts within the town. District #4's schoolhouse was formerly located on Lakeshore Drive, just east of its intersection with Prim Road.
In 2000, John R. and Angela MacDonald deeded the school to the Colchester Historical Society. Through the efforts of the Society the school was moved more than four miles here to Airport Park.
Children in costume for an "Alice in Wonderland" production at the "New" Malletts Bay School, circa 1930s.
Erected by Lake Champlain Basin Program, Lake Champlain Byway, Chittenden County, Town of Colchester, Federal Highway Administration.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 44° 32.602′ N, 73° 16.808′ W. Marker is in Colchester, Vermont, in Chittenden County Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colchester VT 05446, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ethan Allen Park - Wilderness in the City (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ethan Allen (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Black Snake Affair (approx. 3.6 miles away); Arahmi (approx. 5.2 miles away); 2nd Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment (approx. 5.2 miles away); Battery Park (approx. 5.2 miles away); Saint-Joseph Parish (approx. 5.2 miles away); William Wells (approx. 5.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 18, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.