Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chatham in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New Jersey Journal

 
 
New Jersey Journal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2008
1. New Jersey Journal Marker
Inscription.  
During the Revolution, former
soldier Shepard Kollock printed
the New Jersey Journal on this
site “to maintain the cause of
freedom” and serve the army in
Morristown. The Journal, north
Jersey’s only wartime newspaper,
founded in 1779, later thrived
in Elizabeth from 1786 to 1991.
Morris County Heritage Commission

 
Erected 2001 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable PlacesWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1779.
 
Location. 40° 44.357′ N, 74° 22.452′ W. Marker is in Chatham, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Route 124) and University Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 Main Street, Chatham NJ 07928, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the crow flies. Day's Bridge Summit (here, next to this marker); Chatham Historic District (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Chatham Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Bonnel Town - Chatham (approx. ¾ mile away); Chatham (approx. 1.2 miles away); Signal Beacon and the “Old Sow” (approx. 1.6 miles away); Summit Opera House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Summit Playhouse (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatham.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Printing in New Jersey. Library of Congress website entry (Submitted on December 6, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 

2. Historic Markers/Historic Preservation. Morris County Heritage Commission website entry (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Marker on Main Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2008
2. Marker on Main Street
The New Jersey Journal was started on February 16, 1779 by Shepard Kollock. The British referred to him as "the rebel printer," and Kollock felt so targeted that he dismantled and hid his presses during the Battle of Springfield in June 1780.
Marker in Chatham Historic District image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 6, 2008
3. Marker in Chatham Historic District
Kollock moved his newspaper to Elizabethtown in 1786. It later became the Daily Journal and was the oldest active newspaper in the country when it folded in 1992.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,545 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8878

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024