Chatham Township in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mount Vernon School
Built around 1860 as one room schoolhouse. Served until 1928 as one of four township schools. Renovated as Chatham Township Hall 1959.
Erected 1977 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 40° 43.316′ N, 74° 24.22′ W. Marker is in Chatham Township, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Southern Blvd and Fairmount Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Southern Blvd. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chatham NJ 07928, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Price-Baldwin House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chatham Colony Association (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lewis Noe Farmstead (approx. ¾ mile away); Chatham Township WWII Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); New Providence 9-11 Memorial (approx. one mile away); The Country’s Roll of Honor (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bey's Boxing Camp (approx. 1.1 miles away); New Providence Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Morris County Heritage Commission. County website entry (Submitted on December 4, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,338 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.