Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
O. H. Methvin, Sr.
Founder of Longview
About 1848, O. H. Methvin (1815-1882) and his father Richard came to Texas from Georgia. O. H. Methvin bought about 1,200 acres in East Texas, including this site, which was his cornfield. He built a home on nearby Rock Hill for his wife Margaret and their children. In 1870 Methvin deeded 100 acres of his land to the Southern Pacific Railroad. The town that developed on the rail line was named Longview when surveyors were impressed with the long-range view afforded them from Rock Hill. With the formation of Gregg County, Longview became the county seat in 1873.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9981.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 29.781′ N, 94° 44.332′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of East Methvin Street and North Fredonia Street, on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Methvin Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Courthouses of Gregg County (a few steps from this marker); General John Gregg / Texas Secession Convention (a few steps from this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Longview (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Banking — The Final Ingredient (about 400 feet away); Everett Building (about 400 feet away); Dalton Gang's Last Raid (about 500 feet away); Delta Drilling Company (about 700 feet away); "Dolly" — Longview's First Fire Engine (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
Also see . . .
1. O.H. Methvin Biography. (Submitted on September 22, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Texas State Historical Association article on O.H. Methvin. (Submitted on September 22, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 22, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.